Monday, May 7, 2012

My heart hurts

We got some results today that we weren't expecting.. but kinda were. My doctor had told me that the remains of the fetal testing had come back inconclusive, but I guess some more results came in today. The tests showed signs of a Chromosomal Translocation. This means that a piece of one of our chromosomes breaks off and then reattaches to the wrong chromosome. My body recognizes this and then miscarries the baby.

Oddly enough, this is the test the doctor ordered for my husband and I, and the results will tell us if one of us has the defective chromosome. If it is my husband that does, our chances are much better for a child... if it's me... chances are pretty slim for us having a healthy child.

This is especially scary since some women's bodies do not miscarry the baby until much later in pregnancy. So I may think everything is okay because I finally make it past 8 weeks... but in the long run, I could end up with a late term miscarriage or even a stillbirth.

It looks like we are going to be waiting for the results on OUR tests and then decide where to go from there.

Thi sis by far the hardest part of this journey. The thought of giving up on another child kills me. It breaks me inside. However, I don't think I can keep going through miscarriage after miscarriage.

My heart is shattered...

No comments:

Post a Comment