Friday, April 13, 2012

The background...

My husband, Eric, and I found out we were pregnant with our first child on June 19th, 2009. We were a little nervous, as we had been talking about getting married but were not officially engaged yet. I had no insurance and had never been to an OBGYN in my life. Once I finally got on state insurance, I had my first official appointment In August of 2009. I was 16 weeks pregnant. I had been to another doctor before this and they didn't do much but sign me up for insurance and TRY to find the baby's heartbeat on the doppler... which they couldn't. This was no big deal to me then, considering they told me they may no be able to find it. At 16 weeks 4 days I had my very first ultrasound and found out we were having a baby boy. For the most part, my pregnancy was pretty normal. No spotting, not much cramping, and besides some nausea in the first trimester and some horrid heartburn, it was pretty easy.

Collin was born at 37 weeks 3 days, and was 8 lbs 7 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. He developed an infection, jaundice, and respiratory distress and was forced into the NICU for 5 days. Once I got him home, he was perfectly healthy. He is now 2 years old and besides a few food allergies, he is healthy overall.

When Collin was 11 months old, in December of 2010, we decided to start trying for baby #2. We knew we wanted our kids about 2 years apart so we figured we would start early in case it took a few months to get pregnant. We weren't even officially trying the first time we got pregnant, so we figured we would have no issues and just had fun with it.

Soon, we realized we were not getting pregnant and by the time August rolled around, I went and saw a new OBGYN that my sister-in-law recommended, as he would start fertility testing before a year of trying. I saw him, he did some labs, which all came back normal. However, in between seeing him and getting the calls about my labs, I fell pregnant. I was so thrilled and made my appointment for the 10 week mark and didn't think much of it.

At 7 weeks 3 days, 9/6/2011,  I started having some spotting in the morning. I called the doctor and they told me that unless it got worse and I started cramping not to worry, that it was often normal. As the hours passed, I realized something was very wrong and went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and say only what looked like the "start of a pregnancy". No baby, no heartbeat. They did an HCG draw and when they told me my levels were only at a 400, I knew I had lost the baby, even though they would not tell me for sure, since I didn't have a set due date from my doctor yet. The next week I found out I had lost the baby for sure, after a weekend of horrible pain.

On 11/15/2011, I found out I was pregnant again and called my doctor right away. I went in and had my blood drawn and he had me start on a progesterone supplement, as my levels were a little low. He had me come in at 7 weeks 5 days and did an ultrasound. We saw a beautiful heartbeat and knew that once we saw a heartbeat, the chances of miscarriage were only about 3%. We saw the heartbeat on December 8th, and at 10 weeks 2 days, Christmas day, we announced the great news to our families as part of their Christmas present. Everyone was thrilled. However, 2 days later, I started bleeding and went down to my doctors office right away. They told me on the spot that I had lost the baby just 2 days after I saw the beautiful heartbeat. He ordered a D&C for the next day after I told him I couldn't go through another miscarriage naturally, as my body did not react as well as some. I had the D&C and the doctor told me that I had just probably had some bad luck and after one cycle, I could begin trying again.

I did as my doctor said, and on March 5th, 2012, I found out I was expecting again. This time, unlike the 2 others, I had horrible morning sickness and other symptoms. I was very hopeful. I was allowed to come in at 7 weeks on the nose and saw my beautiful baby's heartbeat on the screen. My doctor told me I could come back in 2 weeks or 4 weeks, it was up to my comfort level. I chose 2 weeks and was on my way.

About a week later, I had a high fever, nausea, vomitting,and some cramping. I called the nurse and was assured that I had the flu. I had a bad feeling, but figured she was right.

At my April 10th appointment, [ 9 weeks 2 days ], I was expecting everything to be fine, as I was still having morning sickness and had lost about 10 lbs and even had the beginning of a bump. He started doing a abdominal ultrasound, and couldn't see anything. He then did a trans vaginal and as soon as the picture came up, I knew the worst had happened. There was no heartbeat and the baby was measuring 7 weeks 5 days. Not 9 weeks 2 days. My doctor was shocked and told me he was not expecting it. He said he wanted to do another D&C and send the baby's remains to a lab for chromosomal testing. He then told me that if those tests came back normal, he would start some other testing on me and genetic testing on both Eric and I.

I had my D&C yesterday and was told that I have a 2 week wait until I will receive the results from the chromosomal testing back. As we wait, we pray that whatever is causing these recurrent miscarriages, that it will be something I can be easily treated for and that we can continue growing our family. We have ruled out adoption, as I was adopted and still struggle with emotional issues from it, and we do not want to have to explain things to an adopted child that I cannot find answers to myself. As far as other treatments, so far we are willing to try some things. We will see what the future holds. I will document any results and future pregnancies through this blog. I am hoping my experience may be able to help someone in the future and that through blogging, I may find some emotional peace and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment