Friday, June 8, 2012

2WW

I am in the 2WW and somewhat terrified to tell all of you the truth.

Those of you who have never been TTC [trying to concieve] for a long period time may not know what the 2WW is.

The 2WW [2 Week Wait] is the 2 week period between ovulation and when you miss your period. It's the longest 2 weeks a woman can go through waiting for that day where she can find out if all her and her hubby's trying have paid off.

I will be testing on the 19th. We found out we were pregnant with Collin on June 19th of 2009 so it's like I kinda feel like it holds a special place... like maybe it will be lucky or something. I don't really know. It just seems like a nice coincidence that I will be able to test that day.

However, if I do end up pregnant, I will have to wait another 4-5 weeks for an ultrasound for viability. My doctor WILL do one at 7 weeks for me, but I have lost all of my babies before I hit the 8 week mark. [One I lost at exactly 8 weeks, but didn't start miscarrying until 10.5 weeks.] I want to wait until 8.5 weeks for an ultrasound so I don't have to see a heartbeat and then possibly NOT see one.

After that, at 11 weeks, I will have an amnio or cvs. An amnio is where they insert a needle thorugh your abdomen and into your uterus and take a sample of the amniotic fluid to test the chromosome makeup of your child. A CVS is basically the same think, only instead of a needle through the abdomen it is a cathedar inserted through the cervix that does the same thing... and it can be done a little early. A couple of weeks later we would get the results and  find out if our baby is healthy and will make it to term... or whether we should be prepared for a miscarriage or stillbirth [which is what happens over 99% of the time in a trisomy 13 case.] The amnio or CVS carries a small risk of miscarriage... but I feel like stressing for 30 weeks will be a lot more detrimental than the procedure. The CVS is a little less risky, so we will probably go that route... especially since it can be done sooner. One perk to this, is that if the baby is healthy, we will be able to know the sex with 100% certainty at around 12 weeks, which is pretty awesome.

So if everyone could continue to pray, I would appreciate it. I have gotten pregnant the first cycle of trying with my first two losses, so we are thinking the odds are pretty good for us this time around as well, since my body seems to be most fertile after a miscarriage [as for a lot of women, hence why we haven't waited on trying. Our doctor says it is perfectly safe as long as I wait for ONE period before we start trying.] The idea of waiting and then trying for 9ish months to get pregnant again with a baby we are very likely to lose just isn't practical for us. I actually have had a great feeling about the next baby we concieve. Maybe because I feel like we had a healthy baby and then three that have passed on... we are just DUE for a healthy one [pun sorta intended.]

Thank you for the support from everyone. I have gotten messages from people I haven't heard from in years telling me they are praying for us. Telling us they are rooting for us and asking if we need anything. You guys all rock. It means so much to our family that we have people behind us during this difficult time.

1 comment:

  1. Honey I really hope you get pregnant! You totally deserve it. I've been trying for about 6 months and nothing yet and I'm at the 2ww myself now, so I hope we both get good news, because that would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete